Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Communicating

Today Isaac's speech therapist brought out this communication device for us to borrow. Since he gets scared easily with new toys, I thought I would start out with pictures that have some of his favorite people. So if he presses the one with Mama's picture it says "I love Mama." If he presses the one with sister it says "hi Autumn" and then Autumn can say "hi Isaac." He's very interested in Autumn today for some reason.

He loves his sister!
People who have been around Isaac know that he understands much more than we probably give him credit for. We just have to get very creative about getting him to communicate what he needs. He uses some signs, but only uses them when we ask him to. It's so cute though, every morning I bring Brownie, the big brown dog up to him and then I ask him to say doggie. He signs it for me with this great big smile on his face! He's so proud of himself!

This is also a picture association book that I made for him by taking photos of toys that he enjoys playing with. This allows him to make choices. It also has pics of some of his favorite people. When he was in the hospital I brought this up and showed him a picture of the dog and his favorite home nurse. I know it made him feel better about not being at home!

7 comments:

Team Carter Jay said...

I love it! Those are both excellent ideas. We're starting on a picture book of our faces for little C.

Colton's Journey said...

Oh i'm so excited to see someone else is using the communication boards... Let me know if it works for you guys---we're not having much luck---might need to start basic like you did!

Devon said...

Those are great! I really need to get on the ball and make a book like that for Dakin.

Isaac is such a cute boy. He just makes me smile!

Junior said...

Way to go Issac, love the picture book.
Would you be willing to do a post about your book for the adaptions blog?

Unknown said...

What a great new toy! And I bet his big sister is the best.

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

The new device is great! It's amazing how much these little ones love their siblings. I have no idea my 9 year old son could be SO compassionate and loving, and he really is towards Peanut!

Alicia said...

Sweet! That is so exciting, one more way he can communicate with you. What a smartie pants!