Thursday, April 25, 2013

These Days...

Having a disabled brother with many health issues hasn't been easy. I know there are many times Autumn has wondered what life would be like if her brother was born healthy and they could run and play together. I know that the first couple of years when I was in survival mode and trying to be the best Mom I could be, that was hard on her too. I look back on those times and think "these are the good times." Some days just being a family and watching Isaac scoot around in his gait trainer with no tubes attached are really good days.
 When the sun is out and she wants to take him for a wild ride....
Or days when it's nice to snuggle....

Isaac is feeling much better since last week and mostly off of the oxygen. He will start attending school for our trial run the first week of May. Then I can decide if the benefits outweigh the risks. When we took him to school last week he was scared of the noises and stimulating environment. Hopefully that's something he will get used to. Also seeing him get so sick with a cold makes me question plans for the fall, however I want him to be able to experience the school environment. In a perfect world he would still have the homebound program coming to our house and have him go to school for a limited time per week. So we will see how it all goes.




1 comment:

Susan said...

Isn't it great to reflect on the early years? It makes you realize how far you've truly come. There is no doubt that being a SN sibling is tough but I do think our kids become sensitive in a way that will make them better adults. I wish life were easier for their sakes but it's like your quote by Helen Keller says. Happy Belated Birthday to Isaac. I hope he enjoys school. I know it was really good for Ainsley.