Friday, April 1, 2011

Looking Back....

Sorry about being MIA, I'm afraid I've been a bit of downer lately. This time of year I start getting melancholy, grumpy and sentimental. Isaac's birthday is approaching and although it's an amazing celebration of his life and the miracle that he's still with us, it brings back a whole bunch of memories and big realities.

His IEP was on Wednesday and although I'm
so glad that he's doing better than ever, it's big reality check that I have a severely developmentally disabled child. I know, I know...look at how well he is doing? Isn't that what counts? Yes, I will get there, but for now I need to go through it. With that comes strength and then acceptance. I've gone through it time and time again. When you have a child with special needs you will be plugging along just fine and feel like you have finally arrived. Then suddenly it hits....sometimes out of nowhere. After you go through it for the 500th time, something beautiful happens.....acceptance, more strength and a new perspective. Trust me, it's not a bad thing.

During this time I also start to reminisce and look at photos of the very beginning. Wow, what a journey! Some of these photos I never shared on the blog because they weren't digital photos. This was taken just after he hit the 4 pound mark. The moose is from his favorite nurse in the NICU. He was still so tiny!This was 1 of the first visits from his sister. She was proud to have a little brother. Little did she know how much her life would change. How she would decide that maybe someday she would like to be a physical therapist when she grows up. I'm normally not this tan, it must be the lighting. Anyway, I love this photo because Isaac looks like he's trying to wave goodbye. It was our last day in the NICU after 4 long months. Little did I know how much my life would change or how much I would change. Did I know the amazing people I would meet along the way? That I would start a Moms group or share our amazing story at a couple of events? Did I know that God would travel this journey along with us the whole way...yes, and he most certainly did.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I can relate completely. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Team Carter Jay said...

Awwww, look at how tiny he is! I hate those moments when your reality kicks you in the gut, but those moments will soon pass again. Lots of prayers!