Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Don't Mess With The Crazy Lady

Isaac has gone through more than most of us will ever go through in a lifetime. I expect nothing less than excellent care for him in the home or in the hospital. He deserves it. He gets excellent care at home, but sometimes I have to keep a close watch over them at the hospital. If I can see that he's not getting the care that he deserves, I can go from pleasant to crazy in less than 2 seconds.

This morning I finally went to the hospital to see my sweet boy after getting over my cold. He was happy to see me and he waved hello when I sang him his favorite "ABC song." It was a nice moment and I was happy to be there with him, but then I noticed some things that made me wonder if he was getting good care. His hair was greasy like it had not been washed or brushed all week. He also had a blanket over him that was covered in poop!
Immediately I complained to the charge nurse and she got the nurse who was supposed to take care of him today. she was apologetic and said that she didn't see the poop and that she had just washed his hair and it was greasy because of some kind of lotion she had put on his ear. I still felt that his hair needed a good wash and comb through so I washed it myself and gave him a nice hairdo.

After trying to collect myself, I was talking to the nurse about the c-diff. Last week I brought up a pro-biotic that I specifically told the nurses that he would need. I just found out today that HE HAS NOT BEEN GETTING IT THIS WHOLE TIME. After they could see that I had gone completely nuts at this point, they got an order for it.

I put him in his chair later. He was happy to get out of the bed. You can see in the photo that he's carrying some extra fluid in his cheeks. This is a common occurrence when he's hospitalized due to the IV steroids. His cheeks are just more kissable now.I spoke to the doctor today and he said that Isaac still has a couple of days to get completely better before he breaks free from there. He is sprinting off of the vent (bi-pap) nicely though. I had to leave early because my daughter had a 1/2 day at school.

The crazy lady has left the building!

7 comments:

Sherry C said...

oh my I'm glad your feeling better and in there keeping the nurses in check. I hope he is home with you very soon. He sure looks like he's on the mend.

Alicia said...

Wow!! I would have been livid! You have every right to go crazy on those people. All of that is unacceptable, especially the fact that they did not give him the pro-biotic!

Go Mama Bear, GO!!!

Anonymous said...

Go, crazy mama, go! You know me, Gammy would have kicked butt, too, if I saw that. Too bad, I was very sick at this time, or I would have cleaned him up myself. I'm always standing watch over every detail when I'm there, but the Mama Bear is even crazier than the Gammy Bear. Watch out for us Bear women! (LOL) Keep getting better and better.

Love,
Gammy

Lacey said...

I love being the crazy lady! There are some nurses and residents that turn the other way when they see me coming. No one will take care of our kids but us!

Team Carter Jay said...

You go girl!! I've had to be the crazy lady a few times myself.

Pauline Salter said...

Poor Isaac, there is NO excuse for such poor care in our hospital ( it's the same here too!) Hoping Isaac can be home in your excellent care soon.
Keeping you all in our prayers as always.
Love & hugs, Pauline & Lena

Anthony's Family said...

Colleen it's thanks to us crazy mama's that good things come from. So glad you are feeling better. My prayers are with you all. Isaac is so lucky to have a "crazy mama".