Tuesday, August 11, 2015


Isaac has been seeing a new Doctor for his immune deficiency. She was hoping that a shot called Prevnair would help him build antibodies to the kind of infections that he is prone to. The lab work showed that it did not. It's clearer now that Isaac may need further treatment, which would be an infusion of antibodies called IVIG therapy. 

This treatment does not go without side effects so it's hard to know if it's the best decision. The only way to find out is to try it. If he doesn't handle it well, I wouldn't want to put him through anything that reduces his quality of life (a smiling boy) so it may not be worth it. If it goes well it could increase his quality of life as he could potentially go to school and places without getting sick as often. Win! 

The other tough decision is school. The Pulmonologist doesn't really want him there, but my plan was to send him there on a modified schedule. He really loves it as long as we can eliminate the possibility of getting sick all the time. Can we just have the best of both worlds? I'm the kind of person who has trouble deciding what to have for breakfast so mega decisions like these and a peace of mind does not come easy. Thank you for your good thoughts and prayers as we decide what is best for our sweet boy! 

No comments: