Tuesday, September 25, 2012

My New Addiction

Even though the day seems to go non-stop between nurses, therapists and appointments, there is a very small window during the day that is actually peaceful. Nobody is here but me and the little man and he is usually sleeping during this time. Usually the phone rings and goes to the machine. That is because this is my "me time." The only time during the day where I'm not talking about medical stuff or having someone looking over my shoulder. I could probably make a song called "I'm a hermit and I know it." That's just how I roll.  During this time, my new addiction is lighting a candle and making breads and jams. Yesterday I made a Cranberry Lemon Zucchini Bread and it was delish!!

Here is the recipe. I like extra spice, so I add 4 tsp of cinnamon instead of 3. 

3 cups of white flour

1 tsp of salt

1 tsp of baking powder

1 tsp of baking soda

3-4 tsp of cinnamon (depending of preference)

3 eggs

½ cup unsweetened applesauce

½ cup vegetable oil

2 ¼ cup white sugar

3 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups grated zucchini

2 cups of sweet dried cranberries

1 Lemon, grated and squeezed

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

*Mix flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon in medium bowl.

*Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil, applesauce in large bowl until creamy. Add dry ingredients and beat until mixed well. Add zucchini, lemon, cranberries and walnuts. Add to pans and bake for 50-60 minutes at 325 degrees.  

I thought about having my own cooking blog, but maybe I can add an occasional post here about new recipes. 

Happy Fall Eating!!


2 comments:

Michelle said...

YUM!!

The VW's said...

Sounds great! Thanks for the recipe! Enjoy that quiet, alone time! : )