Saturday, December 11, 2010

It's Not Scary.....

That's what I tell Isaac about the Christmas tree, but every time I put him next to it he gets really scared. You can see the look of hesitation on his face. He rolls over to the other side, but sometimes I catch him rolling halfway over just to take a quick peak at it. Silly boy!
I feel bad for him because he can't enjoy the tree or certain toys because they scare him so much. I can't blame the guy for thinking the world is a scary place. I mean, he's been through some scary stuff his short little life. The sensitivities are definitely neurologically related though. He simply can't handle loud noises, bright lights or new textures. His therapists have been working with him on this by bringing him quiet toys. We noticed that if they bring toys with bright colors he associates them with loud noises. Last week his teacher brought white cotton balls for him to pick up and place in a bucket and he wasn't scared of those at all. The OT has suggested that we start a technique where we brush his arms and legs. Here is a description of what we are doing. We're supposed to do this several times a day. We do what we can, especially with Isaac's full medication schedule. Autumn has lots of fun doing this for her brother and she likes making him VERY sleepy.

6 comments:

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

Emily doesn't like the tree either, and I don't know why. If I hold her in front of it, she always turns her head away so she's not looking at it. She used to be very sensory defensive, but she's gotten a lot better. I hope you have good luck with the brushing program, I really think it did WONDERS to help Emily!

Junior said...

I remember doing the brushing with Junior when he was little. We still do it on occasion when he is really upset about something, it is calming for him.
Issac you have the best smile.

Devon said...

I'm sorry he's so nervous about the tree!!

We have been brushing Dakin for about 2 years and I have a serious testimony of it. I really believe it has helped him gain strength and regain what he had lost.

April said...

Oh that's cute that the tree makes him nervous. He's adorable.

Lacey said...

Jax loves the lights on the tree, all bright lights actually. I think thats because with his vision loss, lights are what he see's best! I can see how laying under that big tree might be scary.

The VW's said...

Poor boy! I hope the brushing helps him with this! I am going to check this brushing out, because Gavin is so scared of certain noises and things as well. Although, Gavin does love the Christmas tree! Hugs!